01/09/10

The Road to (Outer) Nowhere (Space)

Chapter 12: New Coat Of Paint

The first rays of light cut through the pitch black skies. He woke up quite cold, still holding the dog tag in his hands. He sat down on the sands, turned off the Ipod that had been playing the whole night. He shortly wrote what was on his mind on the back of the slip from the gas station. Placed the paper in the ammo box along with the medallion and the dog tag. He buried the box and left the spot, walking slowly across the white sands. When he got in the car, he ate some bread and had a sip of the Jack that MeXico had left him. Started the car and left towards route 66. As time went by, the obsession of getting to Miami was thickening. He drove nonstop until St. Louis. He arrived at nightfall. He was tired so, as soon as he got to downtown St. Louis he checked into a hotel. When he got to his room he had a cold shower to take all the dust and sand glued to his body. He stayed for a long while under the heavenly cold gush of water.
- This is a death mission…
He came down to the dining room for a decent meal. He ate until he was quite full. Before going up to his room he handed his suit to be washed and cleaned.
Just before he fell asleep he plugged in the ear phones:

Jack woke up with his heart racing, he was sweating and his eyes were blood shot. It was like he hadn't even slept at all.
- What is happening to me?
He got up, phoned reception and asked for his breakfast to be served in the room and to be delivered his suit. Minutes later the maid was ringing the bell. He ate a quick breakfast, had another cold shower and dressed his suit. He checked out of the hotel at noon. The valet brought him the camaro, it had been cleaned and vacuumed. As the valet approached him:
- Here is your car sir.
- Your quite lucky my name isn't Paul MeXico.
- Sorry sir?
- Nothing son, nothing.
He handed the valet a 100 dollar bill.
- Thank you sir.
- You're welcome.
He started the car and drove away from the valet, that was still looking at the Camaro with a huge smile on his face. As Jack slowly got out of the city he also left behind civilization. It was just him, the car and his music:

He was getting closer and closer to Miami. It took him a couple of days to the outskirts of Tampa. When he got past this town it was like something had glued his foot to the pedal. The Camaro was corresponding in a decent way, never overheating and not consuming a lot of oil.
As the sign saying Miami went past, his heart started racing again. He thought it would be a good idea to leave the car in a garage to get repainted. If anything went wrong during the meeting he could not be linked with the heist in Las Vegas. He stopped at a gas station, filled the tank once again and asked for the nearest car garage. The cashier pointed him to the right direction and he was on his way. It was a shiny and glossy garage. He walked in the reception and was greeted by a young red headed girl:
- Hello, may I help you?
- Hi, I would like to repaint my car.
- Sure, could you please give me the car's registration please?
He handed her the papers and contemplated the office.
- A 66 Camaro in black?
- Yes.
- I like that car, its exquisite, a fine choice.
-Thanks!
- What color do you want?
- Black. It's fading away, and I want it repainted. When can you have this ready?
- Well, let's see... Only tomorrow afternoon.
-Ok, fine.
- Do you need a car in the mean time?
- Well, I guess so.
- We don't have muscle cars as you might guess, but we got a hybrid Toyota Prius?
- Hybrid?
She looked surprised, and threw a suspicious look at him.
- Yes, it's an electric car that also has a petrol tank.
- Ok, so "Pius"
- Prius.
-Yeah, whatever.
- I am going to ask you to leave a deposit of 1000 dollars.
- Ok, sure.
He took the money out of his wallet and paid. The receptionist gave him the keys and he got into the car. It took him about an hour to figure out all the buttons on the dashboard and on the wheel of the car. Finally he understood the combination of brakes and the ignition button. While he was driving on the motorway he could hardly hear the car's engine.
- The fuck?! It's like there is no motor on this shit.
When he figured out how to turn the radio on, the announcer was speaking:
- ... Having sold millions of copies of her new album, here is lady gaga with her new single Alejandro"
The music started playing and after 30 seconds Jack was already cursing.
- This civilization is going to shit, what is this crap...
Only then did he remember to put the CD in the radio. And a smooth song came from it:

He was driving on MacArthur Causeway and turned left, drove through Palm Island, contemplating the huge mansions around him. These islands were known for being inhabited by Actors, Musicians and famous people.
Finally he arrived at Hisbiscus Island. He parked the car and started walking across the neighborhood searching for any resemblance to the house he was looking for. After looking at the huge mansions he saw it. A big garden, fountains, and high trees shaded the black roof of the house. It had many windows and the inside pool was still the same.
- It's got to be here.
He stepped into the drive way. When he got to the door, he ringed the bell and collapsed.
"... A familiar face opened the door with a smile.
- Jack, you made it here.
- John, I... I need to talk to you.
- Ok, come on in.
The luxury in the house was astonishing, very well decorated, tidy and with a rain forest smell. John was in swimming shorts.
- Let's go to my study.
- OK, sure.
The study was on the upper floor, it was carved into a wall, with a thick door leading to it. The inside was all covered in wood. The amount of computers and small electric objects was breathtaking.
- You have got so much technology here, you could plan a nuclear war.
- You chose the Space exploration, I chose technology.
- Exactly, that's why I'm here. I... I don't know what to do. By now you know what I was chosen for. I don't know if I should go or not.
- Yeah, I know, it's a big challenge and choice. Fifteen years in space without coming to Earth is huge. But your name will come in the papers, you will be famous.
- I don't give a shit. I'm doing this to run away. I'm tired of being here. I thought the C.I.A. would be a thrill, but it turned out to be quite annoying.
- Despite the reasons, I think you should go. You get 5000 dollars monthly. For 15 years.
- I still have to make up my mind. But what I really want is to know if you could be my safe deposit contact here on the rock. It means that the money that I get monthly will be deposited in your account. And when I get back you pass it onto me.
- I know that, and yes, I will be your safe deposit contact. Think about it, 15 years alone up there, it will be hard but maybe relieving given your current situation.
- Yeah, I know, anyway, thanks, as soon as I make up my mind I will contact you..."
He opened his eyes and saw a green blur. When it started dissipating, the focused, it was a tree. He was lying on the floor still dizzy. An old lady was speaking to him.
- Are you OK sir?
- Yes, I... I... think so.
- Do you want me to call an ambulance?
- No! I'm fine.
- Are you sure?
-Yes, are you related to a John Meadows?
- John Meadows?
- Yes.
- Oh, yes, well, no, I'm not related, this was his house. He was, well, found dead in his bed three years ago.
Jack started running as fast as he could with his head still very light.
He got in the car, turned it on and accelerated out of the neighborhood.

Sem comentários: