16/10/10

The Road To (Outer) Nowhere (Space)

Chapter 15: Pain and Loss

- No, I mean, last time I saw you, you just buzzed off like there was no tomorrow.
- Well, it's me, and I ain't got time for shit.
- It wouldn't be you if you had...
- So, how are your flying skills?
- Fuck you! How do you think?
- Good I suppose...
- I've got something I need to do, and need a co-pilot. There is some good money to win. Interested?
- Yes, but first I've got to get to Canada.
- Perfect! I'm here waiting for you. I'll keep in touch, don't want to help those fuckers closing in on me.
- What fuckers?
It was useless; MeXico had put the phone down already. Jack, stared at the phone for some seconds. Packed it in his pocket and got into the car. It was quite obvious he had to get to Canada as soon as possible. He drove the whole night until he got to Honolulu. Boarded the first plane to Miami. During the trip, he placed the earphones and dozed off:

He was awakened by the air hostesses. She advised him to fasten his seat belt.
- What? Listen lady, I’ve... I've... Ahh, just forget it...
He buckled up. The plane finally landed. He got into the Camaro and started his journey up to Canada. He knew it was going to be a long and hard journey. His only stops were to occasionally put gas in the car, eat and take some power naps.
A few days went by and he was getting tired of sleeping in the car, so he decided to take some time for himself. Instead of driving straight to Vermont from Connecticut he turned onto the highway to Boston.
Boston was a modern city, full of students, big parks, quite neat and tidy. He booked himself in the Boston Harbor Hotel. Asked for the suite and spent a whole day resting. When we woke up he had a shower and strolled outside for some supper.
- Ah, a pizza shack, long time I haven't had some pasta.
He ate all types of Italian cuisine, and some beers to help down the food. He left the restaurant and headed for the bars. It was quite easy, he just had to follow the students. There was a full avenue crowded with bars and nightclubs. The sound coming from inside of them was quite loud. He saw that the type of music was mainly house. One club had a nice tune to it, with tinted windows and a song from the 90's, it looked like a pleasant place. It was called the Hollywood Fame. The two bouncers looked at him, and promptly opened the door. As soon as he got a glimpse of the insides his stomach turned over... Red lights, a huge stink of cheap perfume and many hookers on old man's laps...
- So this is what these fuckers do with 90's music... Think I'll stick with the young fellows...
The bouncer looked at him while he turned back into the street. Jack walked along watching many youngsters throwing up on the pavement, smoking and snorting drugs. Making out against anything that could sustain their weight. Finally a decent looking place appeared in front of him, many people outside made him think it would be good fun. We walked into the store just next to it to buy some cigarettes and passed his eyes through the magazines. In big red letters he read: "FBI hasn't managed to find the Calexico robbers"
Jack grinned in a sarcastic way... The club had many people sitting down in the bar in front. He sat down at a table by himself. The waitress came:
- Hi, could I get you something?
- Well, yes, a double jack please!
Minutes after she came with his whiskey. After a few hours he had downed a few and felt ready to walk into something he hadn't been to in a while, a discotheque. The baseline of the beat made his suit vibrate at every step of the song. The youngsters danced in a subtle way that he learned straight away. Minutes later while waiting in the queue he was already partying. Many girls would look at him, some staring others laughing, he just ignored them. When only 5 girls were in front of him, before going past the bouncer a discussion started between them.
- Sorry miss, you have to pay the amount posted on this sign.
- I know, I just lost my cash, can't I pay with a card?
- Sorry miss, only cash allowed at the entrance. So, if you would please step aside, other people want to enter.
The girl started getting tears in her eyes as her friends laughed at her while walking away. The bouncer abruptly pushed her away when Jack spoke.
- Listen, she dropped her money right here.
While saying this, Jack took a 100 dollar bill out of his pocket and placed it into the girls hand. Her face lighted up when she realized the gesture. The bouncer was now getting mad.
- Sorry sir, she has got to go...
- I don't think we need to come to this.
Jack stuck a few notes in the bouncers black jacket, grabbed the girl by the hand and walked inside. Before they reached the dance floor they had to go down a flight of stairs. Jack, was now feeling his whole body comfortably numb. The girl didn't believe the luck that had just struck her. The sound became clear:
When they got to the dance floor they saw it in frames, the light was intermittent. Hundreds of colored lasers whipped the dance floor, illuminating the bodies of youngsters jumping around. Cigarettes and glasses filled with all kinds of liquids were shaking in the air. The music was addictive and everyone seemed to be a part of the electricity that was flowing. Jack was stunned, but kept a cool attitude, integrating himself in the party, when:
"He parked the car outside of the driveway. It was a sunny afternoon. He smelt the rose he had stolen from his neighbor's garden. Got out of the car and walked to his girlfriend's house. Ringed the door bell.
Caroline opened the door, a shocked face took hold of her, her eyes became big all of a sudden, she didn't look at ease.
- Jack?
- I thought you had handball today?
- Well, the coach called in sick, so I decided to come by and spend some time with you.
- I've actually got to go out now, I've got an appointment at the hairdresser in about 15 minutes.
- Cool, get ready I'll take you!
A male voice from inside the house shouted:
- Caroline, who is it, I mean, I come here now to be with you because Jack is out and you stand at the door the whole time. Who is it? Tell them you don't want encyclopedias.
- Jack, please I can...
Caroline tried to stop him, but Jack had walked into the house, turned left into the living room. Across lounge he saw a man with his back turned to him. The dragon on his right shoulder gave him away, Jack recognized the man, his friend Victor, from school, an American football player. Jack looked back and saw Caroline in panic, stuck to the ground. On his right stood a porcelain jar, about a meter high. Silently he picked it up, the stand tilted over and made a noise, while Caroline tried to stop a scream. Victor turned back and tried to react, it was too late. Jack had thrown the jar at him, and pieces of porcelain had cut his skin. Jack jumped on top of him and punched him twice.
- You fucking pig... I trusted you!
When Victor was beaten to a pulp, Jack got up. Walked across the living room to find Caroline crying, and mumbling sorry.
- I should have guessed...
He didn't strike her, he had principles, instead he picked up the rose, squashed the red petals with his fist and threw them onto her. Turned around, walked to the car and drove home. It was the worst day of his life. When he got home he found his mother crying. She was standing in the kitchen, screaming.
- Mom, what's wrong?
- Jack, your... David is dead?
- WHAT?
- He brought this letter and told me to give it to you. After he left... I... I still heard the crash. A bus hit his car...
David was Jack's best friend. They were together in school since grade one. They were always together. He ran to the hospital, just to get there and see David's family crying outside of the operating room.
The funeral was on hot summer afternoon. Many people attended the service, including Caroline, that tried to get near Jack, but never managed and Victor, that was wearing big black glasses, hopelessly trying to shade the bruises. Jack was heartbroken at the end. And remained with the coffin until nightfall, when the undertaker approached him. It was time to lower David into the ground. Jack stood there until the end. While the undertaker threw sand over the cascade the tears finally rolled down Jack's face.
We walked home alone thinking about the two previous days, and the pain he was feeling. When he got home, his mom was in the lounge. In the kitchen he found the letter. He opened it.
"Jack, you know you are my biggest friend, I've known you since, well always. I discovered some troubling news and didn't know how to tell you. I decided to write to you, I can't imagine how I would tell you this face to face. But, I couldn't live with myself if I hadn't told you this. So, here goes. I have proof that Caroline is been seeing and going out with Victor. Sorry mate, it's the truth. There is a small photo in the envelope. You can call me anytime today or tomorrow, I'll be at home. If you don't want to talk, I'll see you tomorrow at Mrs. Park's class. Sorry Jack, I thought you should know."
Jack reached for the envelope, and saw a photo of Caroline and Victor in a coffee shop, sitting down at the same table.
Jack didn't feel hatred, remorse, sadness, anger, rage, in fact, he didn't feel anything at all, he was hollow. The world started spinning. When he got hold of himself, we walked to the lounge and said:
- Mom, I've got to run away! I am going to the army!"
- Mister... Mister...
The voice got louder and louder... Jack looked down at the girl... As soon as their eyes crossed we was back to reality, and the nice numbness filled his body.
- Yes?
- I just wanted to thank you for your gesture.
- No problem.
They were shouting at each other due to the volume of the music.
- You are not from around here, are you?
- No, I'm actually not.
- You are quite pretty, what is your name.
- Jack! Listen, why are your friends looking at me like I was your father?
- I don’t know, maybe because they are jealous. haha
- Listen, I'm going to get a drink, you want anything?
- Yeah, sure, I'll have a Vodka with orange juice.
While dance walking to the bar Jack looked around and realized he was being looked at from all angles. Not caring about everyone else he asked for the beverages. While he was walking back to the girl someone grabbed him and pulled him into a circle of girls dancing. He partied as they spoke to him from the circle:
- Nice suit...
- Your blue eyes are stunning...
- Your are not from around here?
- What's your name?
- Dance with me...
Jack loved the compliments, but exited the circle with the hot girls still staring at him. He reached the girl.
- What's your name?
- Ann, Ann Lee.
Ann was a beautiful girl, with hazel colored hair and green eyes. Her skin touched Jacks cheek when they kissed. He handed the vodka over to her. They partied the whole night. Occasionally he felt her breath on hick neck, and her soft skin on his hands. When the part ended, the lights turned on, it was time to exit. Not knowing what had happened Jack was now kissing the girl. They stopped, got off the sofas and started walking to the exit. Some ambiance music was still pouring out of the speakers. While walking out of the club, three men about Jack's age turned to each other and pointed at Ann.
- Nice tits bitch!
Jack overheard them and replied.
- Keep you shit holes sealed, fucking junkies.
Straight away the three men turned to him.
- How the fuck do you think you are? Her father?
- Not, but I could be. Please just shut the fuck up and move along.
One of them attempted a punch at Jack's face, but was quickly his arm was deviated from its path punching a solid concrete wall. The other two also finished lying on the floor. The bouncers came and tried to take out Jack. He stopped a punch from the biggest bouncer by holding his fist.
- I don't want any confusion. They picked on this girl, who happened to be a friend of mine. So if you just let me exit, I will, willingly. The bouncer pulled away, and Jack and Ann exited the club peacefully. On the way home, Ann slipped a piece of paper into Jack's suit.
- If you ever come back to Boston, don't be a stranger. And thanks for saving my life... twice!
- Take care Ann.
When he got to the hotel suite he just fell over the bed... And fell asleep immediately.

Sem comentários: