21/11/10

The Road To (Outer) Nowhere (Space)

Chapter 17: Frozen Canada
After Jack inserted the coordinates in the GPS he pulled off. It was still a day's travel until Alma. Moments after, the phone rang again.
- Hello?
- Jack, so you're in Canada.
- Yeah.
- Listen, when can you be in Montreal?
- Well, I’ve got to go to a little town about 200 Kilometers North of Québec, so... In two days time.
- Ok, I’ll call you then. Cheers.
When MeXico finished the call he turned to Pierre, an officer from the Canadian Mounted Police:
- He got thru the border.
- Can you trust that guy?
- I've no reason not to.
- Where is he from?
- Well, let's just say he fell from heaven.
- How moving. - Said Pierre with a grin.
- Can it. Listen I don’t know, by now he is a daemon. I mean, all angels fallen from grace have no choice but to become demons.
-How is she, MeXico?
Paul, lowered his head, kicked a piece of ice and replied:
- I, I think and hope she's ok. I fucking miss her man. I miss her a lot.
- Are they harming her?
- No, they won’t, unless I try and find her.
- If only they were in Canada, they wouldn't stand a chance, I would take them down, if it was the last thing I'd do.
- Thanks Pierre, I appreciate it.
- How did it come to this?
- It's a fucking long story, I’d rather not go on about it. I've got to go, still need to do some stuff before I meet up with Jack.
- I know that you are going to commit a felony. I will have to arrest you if I find you.
- I would expect nothing less of you. Thanks for treating my old man's the car so well.
They shook hands, MeXico opened the door of a green 1976 BMW 2002. Before pulling off out of Pierre's drive way he raises the music volume and sticks his left arm out of the window pulling a thumb up. Seconds after the air was filled with burned rubber smoke.
Jack had just driven past Alma. The coordinates indicated a small cottage in the middle of a big pine forest.
Completely isolated from civilization. On the right of the little trail laid a huge lake. He had stopped the Camaro and continued the rest on foot. The snow was deep, it was a struggle to continue. Finally the cottage was at a short distance. Minutes after, he rang the doorbell. Over the small speaker he heard a voice.
- Who the fuck are you?
- Mason, Jack Mason.
The door clicked and opened.
From the outside, the house looked like a little holiday cottage, but from the inside it was enormous. It was divided into three huge divisions. A computer room, filled with hundreds of desktop pc's, laptops and racks. The second division looked like a house. It had a kitchen, a lounge and what seemed to be a bedroom with a private bathroom. On the right, and a bit lowered, a huge greenhouse, completely isolated from the rest with a 5 inch glass wall.
A small figure materialized in the distance and was walking towards Jack.
- Hi, I'm David, David Grey. Like the singer.
- What singer?
- Ok, John said you were weird.
- I'm weird, your house is a cottage in the middle of the fucking tundra, and it’s so white I would say I'm in heaven.
- Ok, let’s cut the crap. Get in, the temperature is controlled inside. The mushrooms are very demanding.
- Mushrooms?
- Yeah, come on in, I've got my marijuana plants that are joined with this new species of hallucinogenic mushrooms.
- So, you're a drug dealer. Thanks John. – Said Jack revolving his eyes
- No man, I just sell enough to live. I consume what I produce. It's agriculture. I live in communion with Gaia. The energy inside is always positive because I've got the green color as a dominant one.
- Fuck, so you’re a hippie?
- No, I am a man that believes in the transcendent. The powers of Nature.
- Ok enough is enough. The late John Meaddows told me to come here. He said you would have something for me.
- Indeed my friend I do, just give me a second. Sit down and I will be right back.
Jack sat down on a green and blue stripped sofa while David walked across the house into the kitchen. He poured hot water into two mugs. Reached for three jars, opened them, and put a mushroom, a leaf and what seemed to be a root into each mug. Prepared some biscuits, and came back into the lounge.
- Your vibes are black my friend. Have this tea and some grass biscuits.
- David, what the fuck is in this tea, its dark brown?
- Try it, it won't hurt. John didn't like it at first, but then he was always asking for it.
Jack tried the tea, it was sour but with a sweet finish.
- So, you are here for the money right. The 3,5 million dollars the government tried to steal from you. Is this correct?
- I don't know how much it is, I lost track of when they stopped financing me.
- It was 3,5 million dollars, but John gave me 5 million. Come with me.
The tea was quite addictive, Jack followed David while drinking.
- The tea isn't so bad.
- Told you so.
They were now inside the greenhouse. The smell of the marijuana trees was everywhere. At the end of the division, David opened a safe, went in, and came out with 3 brief cases.
- Ok, here it is. You may go now, your energy is harming my plants.
-Ok man, as you say.
At the door, Jack thanked him for having kept the money for so long. David gave him his contact, in case he needed any help with anything.
Jack turned around and rolled his eyes thinking of the way back to the car...

1 comentário:

ETERNITY KIDZ disse...

"Your vibes are black my friend." Nice one!