29/06/14

The Road To (Outer) Nowhere (Space)

Chapter 29: Africa

The phone awakened him, once again it no ID appeared on the screen.
- Yes?
- Mason, MeXico here!
-You are the only one that ever phones me, so who else would it be?
- Listen, about that other astronaut from São Paulo. Are you planning to go and see him? I will be in Brazil for the next few weeks. I know where he is, where he lives. If you want to talk to him, I can try and arrange  a meeting, the feds will be all over his house now.
- Yes, I want to meet him, but I need a couple of days here in Johannesburg.
- Fine, I'll met you in 5 days at the airport. Gotta go!
He put the phone off before Jack could ask anything else. The door let out a crack as he opened it to check the engine. Luckily it was something simple, and he continued his way to Johannesburg.
A few hours later he arrived in Linmeyer to the old family house. Everything was the same, the buildings, the streets and even the old park where he spent his youth had the same swings and slides. He stopped and glanced the park for long minutes. The past merged with the present day and he saw himself and his cousins playing in the park, walking up the hill just behind. Time stopped for a long while and he continued to stare into the infinite, with memories pouring in front of his eyes... A hooter brought him back to reality and he pulled off down the road he had so many times walked through to get home. He stopped in front of his house, it was the same, the garden in front of the lounge with the grass carefully cut, the small pond with green water housing some fish. He got out of the car, it had been a long time since he was home, and even longer since he had seen his mother. He slowly walked down the driveway, feeling anxious, taking all the time he needed. From the other house, the neighbor was staring at him, stunned by his presence there in South Africa.
He rang the doorbell and waited brief seconds before a very recognizable voice spoke.
-Who is it?
He couldn't reply, his throat was a knot.
-M..Me!
-Jack?
The door quickly opened and his mother stood there, static, just looking at him while a few stubborn tears started falling down her eyes.
-Ja..Jack? Is it... really you?
-Yes mom, it's me!
She hugged him and was now crying compulsively...
The went inside and for a long time she could't speak or stop crying. Only after a long time did she say something.
-I though you had been killed... I've been so worried and devastated that I didn't even know what to do.
-I was nearly killed a couple of times, and technically I was dead for brief moments, so you could say that.
-How? When did you get back to earth?
-A few months ago, on the crash land in the USA, and the feds have been looking for me ever since. I defied them when they wanted to terminate the operation... Have they been here?
-But they will eventually appear. I just came by to give you a kiss, I have to be on my way...
-Where are you going? Are you in any sort of problem with the FBI?
-Yes, and I can's explain right now, for your own good. I have to go mom!
-Please just have supper with me, let me ask you how it was and what is your plan.
Jack looked out the window to the street, there were no signs of any movement, so he accepted.
-OK, but then I have to go, the feds can appear at any moment and I still have to go somewhere.
Paula made a nice Italian pasta for them and during dinner they spoke about the adventure in the space station, the adventures since the crash and all there was time for.
-I promise I'll be back before...
-Before what?
-Nothing. Before I go somewhere else.
-Where?
-Doesn't matter! What matters is that I'm here now, and I'll be passing by or phoning you.
She hugged him and fixed the collar around his neck.
-Old habits die hard, hey?
-You mustn't look like a thief, you must always be in prime condition, remember what your grandfather tough you.
Jack looked to the other house, which was his grandfather's and smiled.
-He was a great person, pity I won't live up to his expectations...
He gave his mother a kiss, a hug and stopped another tear from falling down. As we pulled off from the parking spot, he haw blue and red lights flashing on the opposite side of the neighborhood.
-Fuck, just in time...


Sem comentários: